Saturday 4 July 2009

Lisa's Birthday

Two celebrations of sorts this week. Wednesday was three months to the day that I started hormone treatment. I won't bore you with the details of how my body has changed, but needless to say there have been changes, and not only physical ones. It's a journey that has its' good and its' bad moments, like anything in life, but at least I am on it, and have good friends with me. I go to see Dr Curtis on Monday to have my three month check up, get my blood tests taken, and hopefully get another supply of patches and maybe anti-androgens.

Yesterday was pretty good one. I'm not talking about work you understand? I mean it's like working in a sauna there. I work at the back of a store, which is in a shopping mall, and has neon strip lights, but no air conditioning. Actually strictly speaking that isn't true. It has air conditioning, but it just doesn't work; at all; ever. So working there is bit like being a chicken in a halogen oven. Roasted Emma Banin, hardly appetising! My only solution is to a) drink lots of water, and b) put on on so much anti-perspirant that if you grabbed hold off me I would shoot out of your hands like a bullet from a gun. No that isn't fun at ll. Still it's job, and until I can find something else, if I can find something else, it will have to do.

No, yesterday was good for two reasons. Firstly it was the last day I would have to be back there for two whole weeks, and secondly, and far more importantly, it was Miss Lisa Taylor's Birthday. Now alot of you on FB will know Lisa. She is a U.S. girl who has alot of drive and determination, but does not lose sight of kindness and love. A real joy to know for anyone who knows her. We all met at restaurant in Soho called Zillis. A place no one had been to before, but as we discovered really nice. Great friendly and helpful staff, and really nice food. Of course some of us where there on time *cough* *cough*, and some of us weren't! But in the end there was a good crowd there to celebrate Lisa's big day.

It was a great night. There were cards, presents, and a very sweet moment when Jodie , who works so hard at making her friends feel special, had arranged for the staff to bring out Lisa's Birthday cake. Also there were two really lovely ladies from a film production company in America. Their openess, and friendliness were very refreshing. I spent alot of time chatting with Jennifer, and really hope that I have the opportunity to get to know both of them alot better.

So it was Lisa's night, and I hope one that she enjoyed. As she said in a brief, but moving speech, "I feel like I have a family." So do I. I know that whatever my insecurities and the problems that I face, as we all must do, I am in many ways extremely lucky. It's good to feel wanted, even though I continue to find it difficult to see why anyone would. Still it's a nice feeling, and sometimes we need to just go with the flow, and not over analyse things. I left the girls to get a night bus back, already missing them, and thinking about the week ahead. So girls thankyou for a lovely night.

No comments:

Post a Comment